HRT May Not Be the Answer
Regardless of age, if you’ve experienced the unpleasantness of a hormone imbalance, then you’ve likely been prescribed some form of Hormone Replacement Therapy (HTR). You likely understand the prolonged side-effects from HTRs and can relate to the desire to try something more natural.
Life Wellness Forever can help you, but first, we should have a quick talk about estrogen.
Men and women both have a certain amount of estrogen in our bodies. As we age, this amount fluctuates and changes just as the rest of our bodies do.
When we’re young, estrogen is essential to our reproductive systems. But as we grow older, our hormone levels become more imbalanced and our estrogen levels dramatically decrease. This change can make your body and mind feel like it’s going through a daily war-zone!
For women approaching menopause or experiencing this change, a lack of estrogen can be risky business. In fact, any change in estrogen exposes your body to more diseases like cancer and heart disease, and with heart disease comes a much greater risk for stroke.
What if we told your diet can work just as hard and even replace your current HTR treatments by consuming more phytoestrogens.
Phytoestrogens, a Natural Alternative
Phytoestrogens are a natural alternative to the synthetic estrogen used in hormone replacement therapies.
They are natural plant molecules and mimic human estrogen.
Though they are not identical and may not be as powerful as estrogen, it’s very important to remember that the side effect from too much estrogen and other hormones can be very bad for us. In that case, we should look to natural ways to combat the natural changes in our bodies.
Where Do I Go from Here?
Make no mistake, the healthiest diet hands down is a plant based diet. And lucky for us, many plant foods contain phytoestrogens.
Several studies have shown that the consumption of phytoestrogens may lower the risks factors for heart disease, colon, breast, ovarian, prostate, gastrointestinal, and endometrial cancers. Studies have also shown that 1 to 2 servings of soy protein daily significantly reduced serum levels of “bad” cholesterol.
Bring on the soy!
Phytoestrogens can also block aromatase, which is an enzyme responsible for changing testosterone into estrogen.
Some of our favorite benefits:
· Reduce menopausal symptoms like hot flashes
· Ease endometriosis symptoms
· Decrease the risk of osteoporosis
· Decrease the risk of cardiovascular disease
· Prevent the spread of tumors
· Improve blood vessel elasticity
· Prevents blood clotting
Combat cognitive illnesses like:
What to Eat, What to Eat…
Phytoestrogens are found in foods such as whole grains, dried beans, peas, fruits, broccoli, cauliflower and especially in many soy products.
There are three main groups:
Isoflavones (Soy beans, red clover)
Lignans (Linseeds and Flax)
Coumestans (Alfalfa and other sprouts)
If you want more information or would like a consultation with Life Wellness Forever, please complete the health survey on our website. We will look at your dietary needs, along with your functional health and create a plan with your best health in mind.
Quiz: ARE YOU PHYTOPROTECTED?
- Do you use soy milk in place of dairy milk each day or almost daily on cereals and in cooking? – 5 Points
- Do you eat soybeans beans such as tofu, soy burgers, soy hot dogs, soy based deli slices, soy nuts or green soybeans (Edamame) on average three times or more each week? – 5 Points
- Do you eat other legumes or beans such as chickpeas, lentils, red kidney beans, navy beans or foods prepared from these such as hummus or dhal (lentil puree) on average three times or more each week? – 2 Points
- Do you eat flaxseed or use linseed meal (ground flaxseed), e.g. on cereal, mixed into yogurt or in bread, at least three times each week? – 5 Points
- Do you add sprouts such as alfalfa or soy sprouts to your salads or sandwiches once or more per week? – 3 Points
- Do you, on average, eat two servings of fruit, mostly fresh, each day? – 3 Points
- Do you, on average eat at least five servings of vegetables of a variety of colors each day? – 3 Points
- Do you, on average, eat three or more servings of wholegrain foods each day? – 3 Points
- Do you, on average, eat nuts and seeds- including nut butters such almond butter- at least three times each week? – 2 Points
- Do you mostly choose fruit juices, tomato or vegetable juices in preference to soft drinks, cordials, or fruit flavored drinks? – 1 Point
- Do you drink green or black tea or herbal tea most days? – 1 Point
- Do you mostly use extra virgin olive oil in cooking or as a dip for bread in place of margarine or butter? – 1 Point
- Do you eat 30 or more types of food each day? To check, count the number of different foods, including each single ingredient in recipes and dishes. Count each food or ingredient only once. – 1 Point
Now add up your score- How did you do?
- Excellent protection. Your diet is high in phytoprotectants. 26-35
- Good protection. A little room for improvement by extending your range of phytoestrogen foods. 16-25
- Some protection. A good start, but schedule a consultation for easy ways to improve your diet. 6-15
- You are currently poorly phytoprotected. Read on and take some immediate action to improve your diet. 0-6
Our bodies require a certain amount of estrogen to function normally and to ensure optimal health, especially as we age. Contact us today for a consultation 251-635-7477